Given the unstable and unpredictable security situation in all of Afghanistan it has been deemed essential that all SCI compounds and offices to be provided with around the clock protection. This protection is to be in the form of unarmed guards whose function is to serve as a deterrent to intrusion and to raise an alarm and call for assistance in the event of an intrusion or any other threat to the health and well-being of SC staff and property.
With support from Safety and Security Officer, the Security guard will carry out the followings:
• Arrive on time
• Review shift book with previous shift
• Inspect materials and equipment
• Verify deliveries
• Control access by visitors
• Ask for name, organization and purpose of visit
• Check identification
• Verify appointment
• Clear/do not clear visitor
• Inspect hand bags
• Register information in Visitors Logbook
• Issue visitor identification card
• Escort visitor to Reception
• Inspect any vehicles parked in compound
• Ensure only authorized vehicles are parked in and near SC facility
• Inspect lights, locks, doors, windows
• Check generator (fuel, oil, battery, log book, maintenance schedule)
• Inspect premises inside and outside on regular rounds
• Report any suspicious activity to supervisor
• Monitor VHF and HF radios, and satellite phone
• Control access to after-hours visitors and staff members
• Remain awake at all times]
• Complete shift book
• Hand over to next shift
Skills and Behaviours: SCI Values in Practice
• Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to SC Afghanistan in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met.
• Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
• Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
• Lead, manage and motivate a team, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
• Other duties as directed.
(Obviously this needs to only include duties that could be reasonably expected to be carried out by someone with the skills, experience and seniority associated with the job in question).
Being graduated from high school being able to read and write local language. At least two years’ experience of working as security guard with INGOs. Physically fitted, energetic, active and healthy. Work under pressure and being able to work long hours.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
• Familiar with usage of communication equipment such as UHF, VHF.
• Good personality and good communication skill. Preferably worked in police, military sector.
• Free from all communicable diseases and in good general health without physical defects or abnormalities which would interfere with the performance of any guard duty.
• Able to perform physical tasks associated with the guard duties to which he/she is assigned drug dependency and medication.
• Shall not be dependent on alcohol or other drugs; if using prescribed medication, it shall not hinder the performance of assigned guard duties.
Basic level of reading, speaking and writing English.
Having valid driving licence.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties from time to time which are reasonable in relation to their level of skills and experience.
In the event of a significant humanitarian emergency, the post-holder will be expected to work outside their normal job description; vary their working hours; and occasionally work from a different location should the need arise.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
Health &Safety and Security
The post holder is required to carry out their duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures and our Global Security policy and procedures.
Compliance policies: Child Safeguarding and Code of Conduct; Anti-Bribery and Fraud
The post holder is required to comply with these key policies, and other organisational policies and procedures, at all times.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling in the online application form. In addition to the online application form, they can also attach their CV and cover letter in the online system. Please note that only the applications received through the online portal will be considered for this position.
Applicants can login to the online application system by copying and pasting the following link intro their web browser. Returning users will need to enter their username and password, first time users will need to create a user account.
It is recommended that you save your username and password for future job applications through the online system.