About Organization / Project:
Skateistan is an award-winning international non-profit organization empowering children through skateboarding, non-formal, and informal education in Afghanistan, Cambodia and South Africa. Through our innovative programs which combine creative, arts-based education with the fun and freedom of skateboarding, Skateistan gives children the opportunity to become leaders for a better world. Our mission is to empower children through skateboarding and education. Our vision is to create leaders for a better world.
Skateistan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We encourage applications from people who identify as ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and individuals from groups that have been marginalized. Where candidates feel comfortable doing so, we encourage them to disclose this in their application.
Skateistan is Hiring! We are looking for an energetic and creative Child Protection Officer to join our team in Afghanistan. The Child Protection Officer (CPO) is responsible for implementing and overseeing the organization's child protection policies(CPP), training and response. The position is based in Afghanistan and will provide general programs support to the organization’s programs and staff in Kabul, Mazar-e-Sharif and Bamyan. The specific focus areas are the implementation of Child Protection Protocols, and supporting staff to secure expert social support for themselves and students. Within the area of CPP, the position’s key focus area is promoting child protection and social-emotional support throughout the organization’s programs. The position works closely with national General Managers, Programs Officers, Community Educators, and other relevant staff as needed.
The Programs Officer is a 12-month contract paid position beginning January 2020, and includes monthly salary and benefits, with possibility of contract extension. This position will be bases at one of the organizations Skate Schools in Kabul, Bamyan, or Mazar-e-Sharif and the position will require travel throughout the country.
We recognize that many excellent candidates may not meet every requirement listed below, therefore if you are excited about this position and think you would do a great job and meet many of the requirements, we encourage you to apply!
- Create and oversee education curriculum: themes, teaching strategies, and implementation – according to Skateistan’s values and mission (ensure activities are creative and fun)
- Organize workshops and training, for both students and staff, related to education & sport:
- Oversee internal training on best practices
- Connect with external training partners to deliver training goals
- Develop curriculum and instruction to meet the specific needs of students with physical or developmental disabilities, and/or emotional or behavioural challenges.
- Communicate and develop professional relationships with other youth-serving organizations
- Seek out and create connections and collaborations with other creative non-profits and artists
- Collaborate with event coordinators to incorporate art making and displays at Skateistan and external events to further promote Skateistan’s programs
- Manage incoming and outgoing emails and related correspondence
- Create policies related to programs as required
- Manage programs budget including procuring supplies for all programs materials
- Organize all programs-related documents and update regularly
- Accountable for each semester’s lesson plans and structured skateboarding curriculum
- Accountable for student administration and registration
- Accountable for scheduling of teachers and volunteers for classroom lessons, ensuring the correct ratio of experienced and inexperienced staff
- Accountable for organization and maintenance of education supplies and classroom needs, as well as keeping an inventory of materials and tools
- Working with the team to achieve 50% program participation from girls, and 20% of total student participation from disabled youth.
Programs Monitoring & Reporting:
- Overall planning and monitoring of sport and education curriculum
- Monitor and assess quality control of programs
- Monitor and evaluate students’ learning achievements
- Document classroom sessions in coordination with media department
Monitor student blog, advising on content such as: new classes, student quotes
- Liaison with communications department of Skateistan international
- Observe and provide developmental feedback on Educator performance
- Write and collaborate on weekly, monthly and quarterly activity reports with General Manager, Community Educator
- Oversee secure and accurate participant data entry and record keeping
- Create and deliver reports on program process and outcomes of individual educational activities, as requested, including student statistics and analysis on effectiveness and challenges
- Train staff/volunteers, in teaching methods and other skills so they can take on more responsibilities
- Accountable for weekly Programs weekly meetings; preparation of summaries of actions to be taken; tracking of progress on planned issues
- Accountable for ensuring
- Essential Skills and Qualifications:
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in the field of education, child psychology, or other relevant subject
- Masters Degree in the field of Education or Social Work is desirable
- At least 4 years experience in teaching/training field working with children
- 2 year experience in a management position
Competencies and Knowledge:
- Sound knowledge of theories in the field of ‘Sports & Development’ and ‘International Development’
- Proficiency in other languages desirable, especially a local language (Proficient computer skills using G Suite, Slack, MS Office, and presentation software such as Prezi, PowToon
- Experience using database system, such as Salesforce
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Knowledgeable and passionate about skateboarding and youth culture
- Knowledge in creative facilitation methods
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in English and other local language
- Knowledge in creative facilitation methods
- Excellent communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required
- Ability to manage a team
- Experience developing engaging visual and written training materials
- Ability to handle high-stress situations in a calm manner
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently
Committed to lifelong learning
- Organized and self-motivated
- Demonstrated ability to set and meet goals – both professional and personal
How to Apply:
Skateistan has zero tolerance for child abuse, and we require every employee and volunteer to sign our child protection policy declaration and pass a thorough background check including but not limited to a police clearance certificate.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV, Cover Letter and an example of a Child Protection Policy Training with clear outcomes to email@example.com with the subject ‘Child Protection Officer”
The deadline to apply for this position is November 20, 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.