About Organization / Project:
Afghan Midwives Association (AMA)
The AMA is the technical body for midwifery education, professional development and policies that enable every midwife in Afghanistan so midwives can practice the highest level of care for the mothers and new born of the country. The AMA is a member of key national and international forums. For example AMA is an active member of the Human Resource Development Task Force, National Reproductive Health Task Force, The Maternal New born Health committee, Afghan Women Network and Secretariat for National Nursing and Midwifery Steering Committee. Similarly, at regional and international level AMA is an active member of the International Confederation of Midwives (ICM), White Ribbon Alliance (WRA) for the safe motherhood and women empowerment; also member of the Asia Midwifery Regional Resource Centre.
The main purpose of this job is to report all her field activities to the AMA branches and project assistant. provide mentorship support to KQs midwives. and provide hygiene support for women in need. This could be any women (a mature single girl, a pregnant mother or a pregnant sister that plans to become pregnant with consideration of gender equity and equality).
• Implement the assigned responsibilities under the direction of AMA provincial branch and project assistant.
• Maintain strong partnerships with Provincial Health Director(PHD), Reproductive Health unite (RH) and partner organizations to advocate for resource mobilization and support of midwives in their work area.
• Conduct regularly on the job mentoring to new graduated midwives and midwives with poor skill at specific clinics.
• Develop action plan for mentees, based on gap analysis
• Provide training through clinical consultation, assisting to problem-solve and helping them with direct patient care as needed.
• The clinical mentor will use guidance from mentorship tools and methodology during supervision.
• Promote and encourage mentees to provide services according to national standards and guidelines.
• Participate as a mentor of the mentorship program regional support visit team for the region(s) in which the clinical mentor is posted and for other regions if requested.
• The mentor will work with the advice of AMA on matters and /or perform services relating to the attached scope of work
• The mentor has agreed to provide the high quality services on the terms and conditions of mentorship project implementation.
• During the performance of mentorship services, mentor can manage the KQs visits date and time based on mentorship activity plan, made by project coordinator and project senior officer.
• Documents/attendance sheet, tools and report shall include the total number of days worked and a brief description of services provided for each visit.
• AMA desire to obtain services from the Mentor as more particularly described.
• Role model behaviour and practices (e.g. Respectful Maternity Care)
• Participate in training and technical updates to ensure the knowledge, skills and competencies are current and ensure competence in technical and mentoring skills.
• Date support, record keeping and reporting
• Ensure adequate and organized record keeping of activities including mentoring plans, implementation progress, mentoring visits, completed tools, attendance sheet and other related documents are recorded at the targeted KQs.
• Share records with AMA office after the completion of each visit. Write and submit timely reports as required including key issues, achievements, successes, challenges and lessons learned with AMA office and provincial focal points.
• Follow up the gaps in each visit to ensure the improvement of the findings.
• Regular coordination and communication with provincial focal point and project technical assistant.
• Participate in mentors Meeting
• Attend to RMNCAH committee meetings with provincial focal point and provide the progress of mentorship in targeted health facilities based on need.
Skills and Behaviours: AMA Values in Practice
- Commitment to AMA Values: Demonstrates knowledge of and accepts AMA values
- Cross-cultural Awareness: Demonstrates an open attitude
- Behavioural Flexibility: Adapts behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Stress Management: Manages own stress
- Results and Quality Orientation: Performs his/her work
- Service Orientation: Responds empathetically to clients and understands their concerns/needs
- Planning and Organizing
- Teamwork and Cooperation: Acknowledges the importance of teamwork and cooperation
· Ensure that you work to the best of your ability and demonstrate high levels of commitment to AMA Afghanistan in order to ensure the objectives of your role.
· Ensure the effective and efficient use of AMA resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace
§ Other duties as directed
· Graduated from approved Afghanistan Midwifery Program that recognized by Ministry of Public Health (MOPH) or Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE)
· Must be a committed member of AMA.
· At least 5-years’ clinical experience in maternal, new-born health and family planning
· Update knowledge on QA, BEmoNC and ETS.
· Strong clinical teaching experience
· Strong communication and team building skills
· Fluency in local languages Dari and Pashto
· Proficient in clinical decision making skills
· Ability to promote positive work environment between relevant midwives and their workplace
· Ability to create positive change in knowledge, skills, behaviour and attitude of midwives in targeted HFS during mentorship cycles.
· Able to mentoring the inexperienced mentees for 2 weeks at each targeted health facilities based on mentorship cycles.
· Having model professional behaviour, attitude and appearance consistent with international midwifery standards.
· Having strong commitment to midwifery profession
How to Apply:
Interested qualified candidates should submit a full CV (maximum three pages) with a cover letter explaining their motivation in applying for the job and highlighting their relevant skills and experience;
To apply online please send your application / CV
Subject line must be: "Mentor - #11/04/2021" otherwise your application may not have considered.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for written test and interview.
Job number: AMA– #11/05-2021
Duty station: Kabul, AMA Main Office
Application deadline: 10 April 2021