Senior Intelligent Transport System SpecialistFull Time
About Organization / Project:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Therefore, to enhance the capacity to strengthen its ability to deliver effective, efficient and transparent services in MPW the Human Resource Directorate wishes to recruit the following staff on contract basis from the development Budget for the Ministry of Public Work (MPW)
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
MPW is looking to recruit a Senior Intelligent Transport System Specialist with extensive experience in a wide range of civil construction activities including, but not limited to the Analyze the current road safety concerns, recommend cost effective measures to maximize safety conditions on roads that are improved under the project Based on appropriate international good practices. The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of the international and local design and construction codes/regulations/standards. The incumbent will function as a member of the operation and maintenance team where He/She provides technical inputs and Supports technical and engineering personnel with project support duties.
The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in MPW. He/ She must directly report to the Senior Engineers/ Consultants of the team.
The Senior Intelligent Transport System Specialist will carry out the following
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provides strategic vision for the ITS planning and design practice for the firm
• Provide technical expertise in all relevant areas, including developing appropriate methods for engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning, and startup activities;
• Identifies ITS project opportunities across the country, lead business development and project pursuits, and collaborate with senior managers across the company to develop proposals, scopes of work and cost estimates
• Ensure correct procedures are adhered to in procurement of materials and services and each procurement process is well documented.
• Planning and facilitating meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members.
• Secures profitable new work
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of currently adopted conventional and state of the art technologies, and develop planning procedures and approaches for infrastructural projects in Afghanistan;
• Serves as primary client contact for multiple projects
• Creates opportunities for less-experienced staff to develop skills in ITS planning and design
• Grows the ITS business line through business development, recruiting and staff training
• Collaborates with ITS, traffic and planning leaders on complex ITS design projects, including but not limited to preparation of ITS Systems Engineering Concepts of Operation for computerized traffic control devices, CV/AV/V2I design and deployment, and electronic tolling facilities
• Interfaces with staff from other disciplines (traffic, structural, planning, transit, facilities, technology, etc.) to support a diverse range of projects
• Perform needs assessments and discover problems in current practices through field studies and research.
• Gather and interpret data and present reports related to ITS issues of project in terms of time, cost, and quality;
• Leads and/or provides technical assistance and quality control oversight on ITS projects
• Coordinates work efforts and reviews work performed
• Develop solutions to a wide range of difficult technical issues concerning ITS project and propose effective approaches and solutions;
• Select the most appropriate engineering techniques and sequences of activities for various stages of ITS projects;
• Ensure the adherence of tasks with internationally recognized design standards and with the consideration of local conditions and regional/international standards;
• Plan and coordinate the activities to ensure compliance to procedures and regulations as required by MPW;
Skills & Competencies:
• Ability to provide advice on technology advances shaping the future of the industry including autonomous and connected vehicles, Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO), Mobility on Demand (MOD) and Mobility as a Service (MaaS)
• Ability to market ITS, innovative technology, and roadway system operations to prospective clients
• Ability to effectively manage ITS projects and develop solid internal and client relationships
• Proven ability to lead a practice and to lead groups of professionals
• Experience and passion supporting staff career development
• Ability to provide technical advice on the following topics:
• Network engineering, including interconnect planning and design.
• Freeway management, particularly related to incident management, ramp meters, variable speed limits, and variable message signs (VMS).
• Systems engineering.
• ITS Architecture development.
• Entrepreneurial and consulting spirit to serve internal and external clients.
• Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
• Creativity and Innovation
• Decision Making
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Job-Focused Learning
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Transportation or similar field, preference is given to Masters in relevant field, with 8+ years of experience providing consulting services for government agencies and 5+ years of experience in Intelligent Transportation Systems planning, design, and/or operations
• Experience in ITS planning and design studies, development of Concept of Operations, ITS communication technologies and wireless communication integration, TSMO strategy implementation, and emerging ITS technologies
• Established reputation within Regional or National ITS Industry Groups.
• Experience driving business strategy
• Experience with Intelligent Transportation Systems deployment
• Experience with Connected and Automated Vehicle infrastructure requirements
• Experience with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) systems engineering process
• Leadership positions within Regional or National ITS Industry groups
• CV with an application form for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
• Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications and detailed CV to email@example.com , kindly indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/1400-24) and the post title (Senior Intelligent Transport System Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email. To the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Pubic Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified