Senior Mechanical and Workshop EngineerFull Time
About Organization / Project:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Therefore, to enhance the capacity to strengthen its ability to deliver effective, efficient and transparent services in MPW the Human Resource Directorate wishes to recruit the following staff on contract basis from the development Budget for the Ministry of Public Work (MPW)
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
Ministry of Public Work is hiring a professional Senior Mechanical and Workshop Engineer with extensive experience in this capacity being responsibility for the operation of the Mechanical Workshop service that provides technical support to junior engineers and technicians for efficient machinery operations when needed. The Senior Mechanical and Workshop Engineer will be responsible for coordinating the technicians ensuring that work is carried out on time and to budget. The incumbent will be expected to establish a best practice in the management of the facility including the forward planning and optimization of materials, equipment and technical resource. The incumbent will function as a member of the operation and maintenance team where He/She provides technical inputs and Supports technical and engineering personnel with project support duties. The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in MPW. He/ She must directly report to the Senior Management/ Consultants of the Department.
The Senior Mechanical and Workshop Engineer will carry out the following
Duties & Responsibilities:
To allocate duties to individuals; to take receipt of work requests from staff, providing accurate advice on timescales and costs associated with its completion Supervision of designated Workshop Engineers
• To undertake or distribute work as it is received for the design and development construction, modification and commissioning of new and pre-existing equipment.
• To monitor staff workloads and flexi-sheets, managing staff, to ensure that work can be delivered within agreed timescales.
• Working closely with the Workshop, machinery and mechanical engineers to develop and implement new procedures and processes which will enhance staff experience. Maintaining records for your area.
• Maintaining highest standards of safety, ensuring adherence to MPW Policies at all times
• Following MPW procedures relating to the testing, maintenance and calibration of equipments ensuring all work is carried out to the highest standards
• The calibration and maintenance of test equipment ensuring all test equipment is in satisfactory working order at all times
• Updating maintenance & calibration schedules for equipments and machinery.
• Updating the status of assets and job reports on the asset tracking system
• Maintaining good housekeeping practices in all areas of the workshop
• Working closely with vendors ensuring timely arrival of spare parts order/workshop stock
• Communicating effectively with colleagues at all levels to ensure satisfactory information transfer
• Required to work off-site undertaking mobilizations all over Afghanistan as and when required.
• Provide technical expertise in the installation, maintenance, and repair of machinery.
• Perform periodic checks on equipment and solve problems as detected.
• Work with others in order to ensure that equipment is in proper working order.
• Sets up and operates machine tools according to specifications, tooling instructions, and standard charts, applying knowledge of machining methods.
• Reads blueprint or job order for product specifications, like dimensions’ tolerances and tooling instructions, and determines the sequence of operations.
• Observes operation of machine verifies conformance of machined workpiece to specifications, using measuring instruments.
• May set up and operate machines and equipment other than machine tools.
• Training of new employees & Trainee Workshop Engineers
• Any other tasks assigned by senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Ability to work as part of a team with excellent interpersonal skills in a
• technical service providing environment.
• Ability to work with efficiency and accuracy while prioritizing workload to meet tight deadlines.
• Highly professional at all times
• A natural communicator with a passion for explaining complex ideas and procedures to others.
• Demonstrable multi-disciplinary abilities and flexible practical skills.
• A fast learner with the desire to enhance own personal skills set and
• Ability to work independently applying own initiative, with minimal supervision.
• High level of flexibility and dependability. Demonstrating a “can do” attitude
• High level of computer-based skills including use of MS Office,
• Proven knowledge and a working understanding of current Health,
• Safety and Environmental legislation.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field required with 8 years of work Experience related to the workshop, machinery supervising
Having a Master’s Degree with 6 years of working experience in the similar field.
• Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera)
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, kindly indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/1400-25) and the post title (Senior Mechanical and Workshop Engineer) in the subject line when applying by email. To the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified