Senior Contract Management for Maintenance projectsFull Time
About Organization / Project:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Therefore, to enhance the capacity to strengthen its ability to deliver effective, efficient and transparent services in MPW the Human Resource Directorate wishes to recruit the following staff on contract basis from the development Budget for the Ministry of Public Work (MPW)
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
MoPW is looking to recruit a professional Senior Contract Management for Maintenance projects with extensive experience in all aspects of contract-related activities. The incumbent also manages workloads utilizing a variety of information acquisition management systems, including automated procurement data systems. He/She should be capable of independently handling all contractual aspects of major projects and updated knowledge of international and domestic contract management and contract law. He/She will also have to prepare comparisons of various contractors and help the tender committee to award the contract.
The Senior Contract Management will be responsible for providing all necessary assistance to the maintenance team concerning the entire contract management of road project activities and Coordination related activities of the projects that is aligned with both the country’s needs and the regional/international standards. The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in MPW. He/ She must directly report to the Consultant /Project Manager of the team.
The Senior Contract Management for Maintenance projects will carry out the following
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Drafting and reviewing of all contractual documents in accordance with contract law, procurement law, procurement guidelines of Afghanistan and the rules, regulations and procedures of the MPW related to contract management and procurement matters;
• Ensuring the consistency of all contracts, amendments, letters, notices and variations with the internationally recognized technical standards and norms in the field of road design, construction and maintenance including the Multinational Development Banks (MDB) Harmonized Edition of June 2010 and MDB Harmonized Edition of 2006 (the Pink Book of FIDIC forms of contract);
• Review all requests for Variations independently or in close consultation with the Engineer of the Project and prepare documentation in support of contract Variations including cost and no-cost variations as required;
• Monitor the overall financial and physical progress of MPW related contracts identifying and removing bottlenecks to the timely implementation of contracts as required;
• Liaise with Project Managers, MPW staff, and site supervision engineers and make recommendations on mitigation measures to prevent/minimize delays in contract implementation and contractor payments at any time necessary;
• Review the current Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QA & QC) Plans and Safety Manuals and bring necessary improvements in order to adequately address the site issues and ensure quality outputs and a safe environment for the workers and other stakeholders;
• Review, verify and record payment certificates in support of financial disbursements to the Contractors independently or in consultation with the Engineer and managers of the Projects when necessary;
• Undertake site visits to verify physical progress and quality of work as required;
• Undertake assessment of Extensions of Time (EoT) and possible claims which may be submitted by contractor(s);
• Carry out any other tasks relevant to successful drafting, negotiation, supervision and implementation of all roads construction activities according to the engineering specifications and as per the contract documents.
• Holding meetings with field staff on Project Work related issues such as progress, quality, quantity, security, safety and other managerial and logistical issues.
• In close consultation with the Engineer and the Contractor(s), set annual, quarterly, monthly and weekly performance objectives, work plans and continuing to conduct periodic performance appraisals, including personal development plans;
• Review, substantiate and provide expert advice on delay/liquidated damages from both technical and contract management perspectives when necessary.
• Contribute to the dispute settlement strategies in any stage of resolution such as amicable settlement, dispute board proceedings and arbitral proceedings.
• Provide specific advice and independent views on contractual breaches and applicable remedies from the contract management perspective.
• Provide specific advice on the termination, extension and conclusion of Construction Contracts, Design Contracts and Consultancy Contracts.
• Review and verify the forms of securities (Bid Security, Advance Payment Security, Performance Security) including the enforcement of securities (freezing, drawing down and releasing);
• Review and verify the contracts related to the insurances (Professional Indemnity Insurance, Third Party Insurance, Works Insurances and etc.).
• Site visit to the project site should be done in case of necessity.
• Any other task assigned by the Program Director.
Skills & Competencies:
• Preferably, fully conversant with the standard forms of Contracts used in highway projects;
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of current planning techniques and sequences of project-related activities;
• Demonstrate experience in supervising road projects at all stages and providing solutions to problems;
• Know the process of reviewing and approval of the submitted work program by the contractor as well as monitoring the work progress during the construction;
• Know how to assess and forecast project progress and performance against the established accepted/amended work schedule with critical milestones;
• Must be familiar with regional best practices in the field of road project planning;
• Able to draft and develop specifications/ guidelines and write clear, concise, and accurate technical/ non-technical reports;
• Able to use the latest version of Primavera Contract Management (Expedition) as Contract;
• Ability to manage the construction materials needed on-site and ensure that material supplies are sufficient;
• Able to making estimations for road project timescales and costs;
• Acquaintance with regional and international standards for project planning and demonstrate knowledge of relevant AASHTO and IRC guidelines;
• Able to develop and update schedules, create reports and provide analysis using Microsoft Project and Primavera;
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with a strong desire to succeed;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with multidisciplinary teams.
A bachelor’s degree holder in Civil engineering or a master’s in the field (preferred) with specialization in construction project management and highway project planning.
8 years relevant experience in contract management of large-scale infrastructure projects.
At least 4 years’ experience in quality management of large-scale road/bridge construction project(s).
Professional familiarity with the FIDIC conditions of contract is required.
• Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera)
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, kindly indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/1400-22) and the post title (Senior Contract Management for Maintenance projects) in the subject line when applying by email. To the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Work Kabul Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified